For press and speaking inquiries, please email press@littleBits.cc.
littleBits™ is making hardware limitless and has one mission: to put the power of electronics in the hands of everyone. littleBits makes a library of electronic modules that snap together with magnets to allow anyone to learn, build, and invent with electronics—no soldering, wiring, or programming required. The company was founded in 2011 by MIT Media Lab graduate, TED Senior Fellow, and cofounder of the Open Hardware Summit, Ayah Bdeir.
The littleBits library includes more than 5 kits and nearly 60 interoperable modules, with products sold in more than 70 countries around the world and in over 2,000 schools and maker spaces. littleBits products have won more than 20 tech and education awards including an acquisition into the MoMA (Museum of Modern Art) permanent collection, IDEA Gold Award, Parents’ Choice Gold Award, Popular Science Best of Toyfair, and Makerfaire Educator Choice Awards. The company was featured in CNN’s “Top 10 Startups to Watch” in 2013. Ayah Bdeir was named one of Fast Company’s “100 Most Creative People in Business,” one of Inc.’s “35 Under 35,” one of Entrepreneur’s “10 Leaders to Watch” and one of Popular Mechanics’ “25 Makers Who Are Reinventing the American Dream.”
July 23, 2014: littleBits Launches cloudBit™, Announces Radioshack as Its First Retail Partner
June 18, 2014: littleBits™ Connects with Fellow Makers at White House Maker Faire
April 24, 2014: littleBits™ Partners with NASA on Earth and Space Activities
November 19, 2013: littleBits™ Closes $11.1 Million Series B Funding Round to Power the Next Generation Hardware Innovation Platform
November 8, 2013: littleBits™ Announces Partnership With Korg, Launch of New littleBits Synth Kit
September 16, 2013: littleBits™ Announces Launch of Three New Electronic Building Kits
July 18, 2012: littleBits Closes Series A and Partners with PCH International To Spark New Generation of Inventors
October 6, 2011: littleBits Closes First Round of Financing, Enters MoMA’s Collection
littleBits marks include, but are not limited to, the littleBits name, logo, tagline, and any word, phrase, image, or other designation that identifies the source or origin of any of littleBits’ products.
Please do not modify or alter the marks or use them in a confusing way, including suggesting sponsorship, partnership, or endorsement by littleBits, or in a way that confuses littleBits with another brand. If you’d like to make any use of our assets that are not covered in this kit, you must contact us at email@example.com and include a visual mockup of intended use.
Founded: September 2011
Founder & CEO: Ayah Bdeir
Flagship Product: littleBits Base Kit
Headquarters: Chelsea, NYC
Bits modules made to date: 50+
Number of kits: 5
Countries sold to: 70+
Funding: Seed Round, 9/2011 ($850K); Series A Round, 07/2012 ($3.65M); Series B Round, 11/2013 ($11.1 million)
Investors and Partners: True Ventures, Foundry Group, Vegas Tech Fund, Two Sigma Ventures, O’Reilly Alpha Tech, Khosla Ventures, PCH International (Supply Chain Partner), Lerer Ventures, Joi Ito, Nicholas Negroponte, Joanne Wilson, Jeffrey Walker, Jun Makihara, Jay Dvivedi, Mohamed Nanabhay, Fadi Ghandour, Taha Mikati, Jason Port, Josh Spear, Salah Chamma
Awards + Honors
- 2014 White House Maker Faire Maker of Merit
- The Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Top 20 STEM Toy for 2013 (Oppenheim Toy Portfolio)
- Parents’ Choice Gold Award Fall 2013 (Parents’ Choice)
- 2013 PAL Awards (Play On Words)
- 2013 Gold IDEA Award (IDSA)
- Dr. Toy’s 100 Best Children’s Products of 2013 (Dr. Toy)
- Dr. Toy’s 10 Best Technology Products 2013 (Dr. Toy)
- Educator’s Choice Award 2013 MakerFaire SF
- Editor’s Choice Award 2013 (Children’s Technology Review)
- KAPi Award for Best Technology Toy 2013 (Living in Digital Times and Children’s Technology Review)
- The National Parenting Center 2013 Seal of Approval (tnpc.com)
- Cool Tool Award 2013 (edtechdigest.com)
- Parents’ Choice Gold Award Spring 2013(Parents’ Choice)
- Academics’ Choice Brain Toy Award (Academics’ Choice)
- National Parenting Publication Awards (Parenthood.com)
- Parent Tested, Parent Approved Awards (PTPA Media)
- Dr. Toy’s Best Children’s Products 2012 (Dr. Toy)
- Best Tech Toys of 2012 (Best Toys Guide)
- New Educational Toys for 2012 (Best Toys Guide)
- The STEMmy Award 2012 (Wired: GeekMom)
- Best of Toy Fair 2012 (Popular Science)
- Educator’s Choice Award 2012 (NYC Maker Faire)
- TED2012 Fellowship, TED2013 Senior Fellowship (TED.com)
To learn more about littleBits, view our press coverage.
For press and speaking inquiries, as well as Kit requests, please email press@littleBits.cc
Wondering what the Press is saying? Check out some great quotes here.