At littleBits we believe in empowering more people around the world to be creators and not just consumers of technology. That is why we deeply care about supporting our community in their learning journey as makers. And starting today we are offering a FREE online course to help anyone around the world learn how to #InventAnything using littleBits.
The course is free, online, and open to anyone who wants to participate. It is peer-powered by P2PU, and you can follow the five week curriculum starting on February 23rd or join in later if you want to go at your own pace. This course has been created to reach both those who are brand new to littleBits, as well as those with some experience points. At the end you will graduate with exclusive bitSTAR status, joining the leaders league of our community and unlocking a 20% discount*.
Our Learning Philosophy
- Interest-driven. You’ll work on projects of your choice that pique your curiosity. No dry videos, no quizzes.
- Open and participatory. Anyone can join and contribute! We are creating a safe space for everyone to participate.
- Community-powered. We’re in this together. We are always teaching and learning at the same time.
- Playful. We believe that you’ll learn best when you are having fun.
How Does It Work?
1. CHOOSE A TRACK
You can think of tracks like departments in a school. It’s were you can pursue your passions and find your crew. For this course we have handpicked the following tracks;
2. DISCUSS IN THE FORUMS
Much of the activity is designed to encourage peer to peer learning and takes place in our online discussion forum. If you haven’t used a forum before do not fret, when you sign up for the course we will guide you through every step of it.
3. MEET IN REAL TIME
Hangout with other bitsters during our weekly community calls every Wednesday for real-time networking and support. Each week we will also have special guests joining us for a fireside chat!
4. JOIN A GLOBAL MAKE-A-THON
Go beyond making and teach others in your local community how to #InventAnything. At the end of the course, you’ll create your own playful event using littleBits, whether in your backyard or at your local makerspace. To celebrate we will host a global make-a-thon with everyone who took the course.
5. UNLOCK BITSTAR STATUS
Upon graduating from the course you will be able to apply for exclusive bitSTAR status, which includes a fancy badge on your littleBits profile and a 20% discount on your next purchase.*
What Will I Learn?
- 1. Technology literacy : learn how hardware works and how it connects to the world around us.
- 2. Design thinking: how to imagine, sketch and implement your ideas for littleBits projects
- 3. Creative learning: an approach to education that is hands-on, playful and community-driven
- 4. Event design: how to craft activities that rule and build an audience
- 5. Community management: recruit your local crew, motivate others to join, delight your community with activities, events and support.
How Do I Get Started?
- 1. Sign up to receive important reminders and weekly assignments when the course starts Feb 23rd, 2015.
- 2. Come introduce yourself in the forums, we are a friendly bunch.
- 3. Can’t wait until February 23rd? Browse the tracks, accept a design challenge, and start inventing!
What kits do I need to have?
Here are recommendations per track;
3. SCIENCE: You will need the Space Kit
4. ART&DESIGN: Any kit will do and we recommend the Arduino Kit for advanced builds.
5. HARDWARE: You will need the HDK Kit
What’s The Age Range?
At this moment our course is geared towards adults. We welcome however young bitsters as long as they are attending with their guardians.
What To Expect?
- 1. During the course you will make at least two new projects from scratch.
- 2. You will be invited to a weekly Community Call where you will get to work in small teams with other bitsters from around the world. We offer two different times for the calls (noon EST & 7pm EST every Wednesday) to accommodate different timezones.
- 3.The course will culminate in a global virtual make-a-thon with everyone who took the course the weekend of March 28th.
- 4. All along the way, you’ll have support on our active forums from littleBits staff and other bitsters like you!
What’s The Workload?
- You can expect to spend about 5 hours per week on projects, ideas and makery.
- 2-3 hours of solo time
- 1-2 hours teaming up with others
Got a Question?
Ask in our forums under the “InventAnything” category!
*The 20% discount is available upon graduation. Valid one time only. Excludes Pro Library. Not valid with other promotions.